The TriCities area’s sports medicine experts
If a sports or exercise injury has you sidelined, get moving again with John Randolph Medical Center’s sports medicine team. If you are a novice, athlete, coach or athletic director, we keep you and your team active and operating at peak performance. We offer advanced technology, expert advice, injury prevention and assessment, health and fitness training, treatment and rehabilitation for individuals and teams of all ages and levels.
For more information about our sports medicine programs, or to set up an appointment, please call (804) 320-3627.
A comprehensive team approach to sports-related injuries
Our expert, multidisciplinary team includes sports medicine specialists, orthopedic surgeons and licensed physical therapists with experience in rehabilitating sports- and exercise-related injuries.
Since 1988, athletes and sports teams have relied on John Randolph Medical Center’s sports medicine program for:
- The combined expertise of medical teams working for you—You benefit from shared clinical expertise of the region’s largest sports medicine team of board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, licensed physical therapists, certified athletic trainers and sports performance specialists.
- Community partnerships and expertise—We partner and support schools and countless regional sports teams and events. In fact, we are the official sports medicine sponsor for Chesterfield Public Schools, Richmond Multisports and the University of Richmond Spiders.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey—We are here every step of the way with nurse navigation, case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Care in a full-service hospital—If you need surgical services, our hospital has all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
Sports-related injuries and conditions we treat
From injury prevention to treatment, John Randolph sports medicine experts have decades of experience in diagnosing and treating sports injuries. Common sports-related pain and injuries include:
- Ankle/foot pain and injury—Ankle sprains, high ankle sprains, Achilles tendon injuries, stress fractures and ligament inflammation (plantar fasciitis)
- Back pain and injury—Muscle strain, ligament sprain, disc disorders and fractures
- Concussions—Traumatic impact to the head causing dizziness, drowsiness, blurry vision and other symptoms
- Elbow pain and injury—Ligament tears as in tennis or golf elbow, bursitis, dislocation and tendon ruptures
- Hip pain and injury—Hip pointer or contusion, hip flexor strain, labral tears of cartilage, quadriceps strains, dislocations and bursitis
- Knee pain and injury—Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, meniscus tears, jumper’s knee (patellar tendonitis) and patellofemoral syndrome
- Shoulder pain and injury—Labral tears of cartilage, dislocations, rotator cuff tears, biceps injuries, nerve impingement and fractures
- Wrist/hand pain and injury—Ligament tears, tendinitis, nerve injuries and stress fractures
Sports medicine treatments and services
John Randolph’s sports medicine team is in the community and at our hospital providing unrivaled care and training for every sports-related need in the TriCities area.
We offer nonsurgical, surgical and rehabilitative therapies to get you back in the game and reduce the risk for re-injury.
Nonsurgical sports injury treatments
Our nonsurgical sports-related injury treatments and services in Hopewell, Virginia include:
- Sports-specific physical therapy and rehabilitation—Our team provides PT and rehab as the first line of treatment or after surgery to restore strength, movement and endurance. We help you manage pain and prevent further damage or re-injury with inpatient and outpatient programs.
- Special injury care for baseball and softball players—Our team specializes in helping athletes with injuries or recovering from surgery due to problems caused by throwing. Special programs include sports-specific exercises, return to sport drills, interval hitting and interval throwing.
- Concussion management—Our experienced doctors recognize the symptoms of concussions and the extent of brain injury. We offer baseline screening, neurological evaluation and clearance to return to activity safely.
- Sports physicals—Medical evaluations are conducted to ensure your student-athlete is healthy and ready for safe play.
Sports injury surgeries
The sports injury orthopedic surgeons at John Randolph perform arthroscopic surgery, which involves small incisions and inserting a lighted tube into the joint. This allows surgeons to diagnose your condition and perform a variety of procedures on ligaments, bones, cartilage and tendons.
Common sports-related surgeries we offer include:
- Cartilage reconstruction—Cartilage reconstruction repairs or replace cartilage loss or damage in the knees using innovative techniques.
- Elbow tendon repair—Elbow tendon repair surgery reattaches the distal biceps tendon to the lower arm bone.
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction—Knee reconstruction includes anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial collateral ligament (MCL) and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL).
- Joint replacement—Joint replacements replace joint surfaces with artificial implants, such as knee or hip replacements
- Meniscus surgery—Meniscus surgeries trim or remove torn cartilage in the knee.
- Rotator cuff shoulder repair—Rotator cuff repair reattaches the tendon to the upper arm bone in a complete tear. In a partial tear, the surgeon trims and smooths the tendon and bone.
- Tommy John surgery—This surgery replaces an injured ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow with a tendon taken from another part of the body
Special sports programs for athletic teams and coaches
Sports medicine is more than just treating injuries. It is also about improving your performance by doing the sport you love. We provide one-on-one evaluation and advanced technologies, including video gait analysis and biomechanics, to assess how your muscles, tendons and ligaments work together while you move.
If you are a coach or athletic director, we can keep your team healthy and strong. Contact us for:
- For athletic teams—We offer customized programs for recreational and professional athletes and teams of all ages and sports. We provide:
- Athletic/sports physicals
- Pre-season injury prevention clinics
- Seasonal Saturday morning injury assessments for football players
- Certified athletic trainer (ATC) services, including on-site practice, game staffing and rehabilitation and physical therapy services
- Performance enhancement programs for team sports
- Sports concussion program
- Sports medical release forms
Using the results, we develop specialized programs to help athletes of all ages and skill levels reduce the risk for injury and gain peak performance. Programs are designed for:
- Dancers—Our team offers extensive screening for hypermobility, posture, flexibility, lower extremity and core strength and dance techniques. We create personalized training aimed at improving technique, conditioning and quality of movement.
- Baseball/softball players—In addition to pre-season screening for injuries, we offer video-aided pitching/throwing analysis and computerized assessment of total body pitching mechanics, from wind up to follow-through. Our team provides evidence-based recommendations to improve performance and reduce injury.
- Runners—Our experts use video gait analysis, which includes assessing your running action on a treadmill, and biomechanics to create customized plans to help you reduce the risk of injury.
- Cyclists—We offer cyclist consultations that address posture, alignment and the biomechanics of your movement to help you reduce the risk of injury and improve your experience.
- Golfers—In addition to swing analysis, our team outlines specific ways to perfect your swing and prevent injury caused by improper technique.
- Women athletes—Our team has expertise in helping women athletes with special needs related to pregnancy, postpartum issues and what is known as the Female Triad—a syndrome involving menstrual changes, energy imbalance and bone health. We help you reduce the risk of injury and improve strength for better performance.
- Athletes 50 years old or older—We offer training for athletes 50 years old or older who play a sport or just like to stay active. Programs are customized to your needs and may include guidance on lowering risk for injury, improving nutrition, hydration, and staying healthy while taking into account medical conditions you may have.
Sports concussion program
Our sports medicine team offers a comprehensive, scientifically based sports concussion program to assist you in understanding and reacting to sports-related head injuries. Our program draws on the expertise of sports medicine experts, neurologists and neuropsychologists to assist in an athlete's full recovery.
Student athlete recognition
We understand the importance of student excellence, so we collaborate with sports coaches and their teams to recognize students excelling in school and on their respective sports teams.
We offer special student recognition awards, such as:
- Recognition Scholarship for Athletes
- Each year, HCA Virginia’s sports medicine team and the Richmond Times-Dispatch celebrate the Comeback Athlete of the Year. This award offers a scholarship recognizing high school seniors from Central Virginia who have successfully returned to competition after a serious injury. Visit HCA Virginia Sports Medicine to find out more.