John Randolph Medical Center's Sports Medicine combines unrivaled expertise with the most advanced technology and facilities in the Hopewell, Virginia area. We provide athletes of all ages and skill levels with high-quality evaluation, education, injury prevention, treatment, rehabilitation, and physical therapy.
When you choose John Randolph Medical Center and HCA Virginia Sports Medicine, you have access to:
- The combined clinical expertise of the region’s largest sports medicine team of board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, licensed physical therapists, certified athletic trainers and sports performance specialists
- Decades of experience based on long-time partnerships with schools, leagues, colleges, and professional teams
- Dynamic, customized and sport-specific one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation, physical therapy, and performance enhancement programs
- Advanced evaluation and rehabilitation and physical therapy tools and facilities, including an outdoor assessment field to simulate game conditions for individual sports
- Post-rehabilitation and athletic development programs to help you transition back to your favorite sport or activity
- Opportunities to participate in and benefit from research studies that are advancing our knowledge of sports medicine and rehabilitation
- Detailed assessment within 48 hours at convenient locations throughout Richmond and Central Virginia
HCA Virginia Sports Medicine has served area high school, collegiate, and professional sports teams since 1988. We are the official healthcare partner for Dominion Riverrock Festival, University of Richmond, Virginia State University, and Chesterfield County High Schools. We sponsor the Richmond Times-Dispatch Comeback Athlete of the Year in conjunction with Sports Backers, and we have served the Richmond Marathon, the Richmond Flying Squirrels, the former Richmond Braves, and countless local athletic groups and clubs. We'll use our vast experience to assist your team in getting ready for the season, and we'll stand with you on the sidelines to help prevent and react to injuries.
HCA Virginia Sports Medicine's team offers customized programs for recreational and professional athletes and teams of all ages and sports. We provide:
- Athletic/sports physicals
- Pre-season injury prevention clinics
- Seasonal Saturday morning injury assessments for football players
- Certified athletic trainer (ATC) services, including on-site practice, game staffing, and rehabilitation and physical therapy services
- Performance enhancement programs for team sports
- Sports concussion program
- Sports medical release forms
With our in-depth knowledge of biomechanics and common sports injuries, along with the most advanced rehabilitation and physical therapy technologies, our specialists help you pursue your favorite activities safely and at your best. We offer training and conditioning for athletes in all sports and all ages, including specialty programs for runners, cyclists, triathletes, golfers, dancers, and athletes over 50. Our goal is to help you achieve your best performance, while recovering from injury quickly and safely.
Whether you are coaching little league or an aspiring professional athlete, you need a back-up team of medical professionals that can help your athletes remain healthy, train successfully and recover quickly from injuries. We provide the largest group of sports medicine physicians and physical therapists near Richmond and the Tri-Cities to keep your athletes in peak condition.
Recognition Scholarship for Athletes
Each year, HCA Virginia’s sports medicine team and the Richmond Times-Dispatch celebrate the Comeback Athlete of the Year. This award offers a scholarship recognizing high school seniors from Central Virginia who have successfully returned to competition after a serious injury. Visit HCA Virginia Sports Medicine to find out more.
Our sports medicine team offers a comprehensive, scientifically-based sports concussion program to assist you in understanding and reacting to sports-related head injuries. Our program draws on the expertise of sports medicine experts, neurologists, and neuropsychologists to assist in an athlete's full recovery.
A concussion is a brain injury caused by trauma to the head that can have serious consequences if undiagnosed and untreated. If you suspect someone has experienced a concussion, remove the athlete from play and have them evaluated by an appropriate healthcare professional immediately.
Call the HCA Virginia Sports Medicine 24-hour sports medicine hotline at 804-323-TEAM (8326) for more information about our sports medicine services, doctor referrals or other sports medicine questions.
Each year the Virginia High School League (VHSL) updates forms to help you prepare for participation in organized sports. Check with your coach to determine which form(s) you need, and be sure to have your form signed by your parent or physician, as required.