Thinking about becoming a volunteer?
Join the volunteer team at John Randolph Medical Center!
Make a difference in the lives of others.
A hospital visit can be scary, and a friendly smile can put a person at ease. Volunteers offer support and provide information. They assist patients and visitors with navigating their way around the hospital. Volunteers brighten up a patient’s day by providing a newspaper, magazine or a snack. Not only do volunteers make a positive impact, but they also have the opportunity to make new friends and develop new skills. Serving as a volunteer is a great opportunity to spend valuable time making a difference in the community.
Volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team and make a lasting difference in our patients' experiences. Our volunteers have a rich history of providing exceptional services and support to our patients, hospital and community. Here are a few examples of volunteer opportunities offered at John Randolph Medical Center:
Information Desks & Waiting Rooms:
Information Desks - Welcome and greet visitors as they arrive to John Randolph Medical Center, assist with escorting visitors and patients, provide wheelchair transport for discharges as needed, provide general information about the facility, provide patient room information for visitors, and assist with patient deliveries.
Outpatient Surgery Waiting Room - Serve as a liaison between family members and hospital staff for patients in surgery; check in patients as they arrive and provide appropriate forms; establish a pleasant, caring atmosphere for family and visitors; provide visitors with information on the facility.
Endoscopy Waiting Room - Serve as a liaison between family members and hospital staff for patients having an endoscopy procedure; check in patients as they arrive, and deliver paperwork to nursing staff; escort patients to Endoscopy; answer the telephone; establish a pleasant, caring atmosphere for family and visitors; provide visitors with information on the facility; keep the Waiting Room neat.
ICU Waiting Room - Serve as a liaison between family members, hospital staff and patients who are in ICU; establish a pleasant, caring atmosphere for family and visitors; provide visitors with information on the facility; assist waiting family members.
Nursing Unit Areas:
Nursing Units – Assist nursing staff with discharges, clerical duties, providing patients with nourishments, patient comfort rounding, stocking supplies, and other duties as assigned.
- Surgical Unit (2 South A)
- Telemetry Unit (2 South B)
- Intensive Care Unit
Emergency Department - Assist nursing staff with turning over rooms, stocking supplies, patient comfort rounding, discharges, and other duties as assigned. ED Volunteers must be able to work independently with little or no direction in busy atmosphere.
Patient Services - Assist patients to assist with completing menus and return to Diet Office; deliver flowers, mail, newspapers, magazines and other reading material; collect trays when needed; inform staff of patient requests.
Clerical Support – Provide clerical assistance to assigned departments. Duties may include filing, copying, answering phones, supporting department projects, and basic computer entry. See Volunteer Services for a list of departments needing clerical support.
Freestanding ED (Temple Parkway) - Greet patients to help with check-in process, maintain clean dressing rooms and waiting rooms, act as a liaison between staff and patients, clerical work and other duties as assigned.
Gift Shop - Assist customers with purchases; ring up sales on cash register; process credit card and debit card transactions; re-stock merchandise, snacks and drinks.
- Applications are accepted year-round for adult volunteers.
- John Randolph Medical Center requires a minimum commitment of one year of service at four hours per week for adult volunteers.
- Junior Volunteers: Applications are accepted for high school students during the open application period (March 1 – May 31) for the Summer Junior Volunteer Program, which is from June through August. Teens may have the option of continuing through the school year.
- College Students: Applications are accepted for college students year round.
- A commitment of two semesters is required. This program is designed for students interested in healthcare careers. Whether you are a traditional undergraduate student or a career-change student, we have volunteer opportunities to fit your needs with flexible semester scheduling and multi-department choices to explore healthcare fields.
- All volunteers are required to pass a background check.
- All volunteers must provide 3 letters of recommendation.
- All Junior volunteers must provide documentation of required immunizations and a physical prior to their first day of volunteering. Immunizations must be listed on an official immunization record and/or documented by a licensed healthcare professional.
- All volunteers must attend volunteer orientation.
- Volunteers are subject to annual education requirements and must practice and follow all confidentiality and facility policies and procedures.
Volunteer Application Process
Volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team. Whether you are volunteering to give back to your community, to explore healthcare careers, or to utilize your skills in a new environment, you will be enriched by the difference you make and the lives you touch. Your role as a volunteer will help to support and enhance the exceptional care given by our professionals. We do not consider short-term volunteer requests or court mandated community service hours. A minimum of 75 hours per year or a six-month commitment is required of adult volunteers.
Once your application is received, the Patient Support Services Director will contact you to set up an interview. All applicants must then complete required health screenings.
Please complete and submit the appropriate volunteer application. Submission of an application does not guarantee placement.
For more information on volunteering at John Randolph Medical Center, please email the Patient Support Services Office by emailing email@example.com.